bits and parcel
Gender discrimination?
(making a good impression, acc to Jon)
case description:
For university buses, the campus always hire new student drivers. So whenever there is a driver-in-training driving the bus, there will be a supervisor on board, making sure that all is well.
Today, I boarded one of these buses. I was running towards the bus 'cos I am late. Once boarded, the supervisor greeted me loud and clear "Howdy!". Almost outta my breath, I replied in a squeaky voice (unintended) "Howdy!" and proceeded to one of the front seats.
The supervisor turned to the driver-in-training and asked
" Do you have a girlfriend?"
"No, " he replied
" Always greet the girls when they board the bus."
(O.O *nod nod* I see..)
Language barrier?
While working,I was at the library counter, checking the bar-codes for net-books and making sure that they're labeled correctly. This man saw me and asked
" So you're doing inventory huh?"
*blank stare* (try to act like I know)
"I...guess? checking bar-codes and stuff"
I replied while thinking in my mind 'better google this word later'
he portrayed a question mark face and went back to his work.
then I moved on to the next counter and continue on my job,
this lady at this counter looked at me and asked
"Inventory?"
The same man heard and turned and looked at me
I looked at her. Smile.
"yea, checking bar-codes and all"
thinking 'I hope my answers are appropriate. why do they like to ask the same question? better google that word later on!!'
new word of the day:
Inventory
a list compiled for some formal purpose; goods and materials
Big realization for the Americans
Rmb the book 'How to win friends & influence people' by Dale Carnegie?
I didn't know it's so popular here in the US. I rmb picking that book up and checking it out while I was a librarian back in my high school, thinking that it's an interesting topic.
I'm currently reading the similar twenty-first century book by Tommy Spaulding, called 'It's not just who you know'
Interesting and captivating book which speaks about ROR (Return of Relationships)
building sincere relationships along the path of your life will lead on to unimaginable returns
his personal story is astounding! of how a dyslexia (learning disability) kid can still get his master degree and become the owner of companies and such a successful leader in the society.
Awesome insights learnt from him.
In the process of pondering, it got to me that this was the social lesson that I have learnt, living in an Asian country. Business man or not, many have realized the importance of relationships and how it can get you way further than you've thought of. However, apparently, this concept was not deeply rooted in the culture of Americans. They are based on individualism,
“Society exists only as a mental concept; in the real world there are only individuals.” Oscar Wilde
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" Joseph Rudyard Kipling
No matter what, it's not too late for them to realize that we are living in a society and that community ad relationship matters.
lol. it's called making a good impression la. not gender discrimination. Dun like a good greeting from a guy meh? haha
ReplyDeletehaha..Jon's right. 'Gender discrimination' does sound rather negative and heavy..lol.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with the last point! Not just Americans, but the British too. I would say that the British are even more individualistic and reserved compared to the Americans. Some of them don't bother 'choi'-ing you even though they see you every week. I'm glad that our Asian culture has taught us well to be community and relationship-minded :)
Gender discrimination is the right term, unfortunately. :D
ReplyDeleteI disagree, with Stan. now please don't get all mad at me. XDDDDDDDDDDDD it's nothing personal.
"I'm glad that our Asian culture has taught us well to be community and relationship-minded :)"
Sometimes, they can get a bit much. Like poking their noses into places where they don't belong. =.= i don't like that.
I believe it's a mixture of both. We gotta learn to be moderate when it comes to certain things.
Besides, not all relationships turn out for the best. XDDDDDDDDD
@Maddie - Cheers mate ;) no offence taken, LOL!
ReplyDeletePoking noses etc depends really on individual families and the type of friends that we have. Of course there must be some moderation but I would say that most in my circle have rarely intruded at the wrong time. There's a reasonable 'wall of privacy' that I have between friends and family and at the same time, I could feel that I'm connected to a community that cares about my well-being. It's the little things like taking initiative to get to know one another on a deeper level and developing sincere friendships which I think is quite lacking in Western societies
LOL. well, i'm glad you're fine with it. it's purely out of academic curiosity, aite? XD tot we should clear it up. wouldn't want you shooting inappropriate bullets into inappropriate places now, would we?
ReplyDeleteXD
I agree. Although america (at least where i'm at) is learning the ropes rather well. Idk. they strive hard to be understanding towards international students here, partly i thk because of the misunderstanding and accusations Americans get from being ignorant and insensitive towards foreign culture. But as for Britain, the sense of superiority is still there, and well, foreigners like us aren't exactly telling them off for it. Everyone treats GB as a big bro, like they should be respected and all, so what they say/do is fine. You get me? I guess that's how even in the West the cultures differ. =)
It's hard to establish a wall of privacy in an Asian community. For example, if you do, people would think you're snobbish, or disloyal to your circle of friends. =/
yea. that's kinda true. can't be too individualistic or too community-wise attached.
ReplyDeletefinding the balance is the best!
whoa deep..
ReplyDelete