The Hidden Storyteller



I started out writing this as a response to the comments from my previous post, but it somehow got so long that I've decided to make it a new post on its own.

Speaking about writing narrative stories...
actually I have always liked writing narrative stories.(i find literature interesting too! that's why i like reading and watching movies of classic stories like Pride & Prejudice, Jane Eyre...)
I figured out that I have a hidden crush on writing during secondary school, but there's not really room for me to expand. since:
1) i'm not the Best when it comes to languages *ahem
2) I'm somehow made to believe that I should go into science (don't know how, don't know when)
3) back in secondary school, i'm too busy for school work, can't afford to waste time for personal leisure (like writing stories,drawing...)

needless to say, the passion faded when i entered National Service and later on into INTI where I'm told to study Science (Physics)
(believe it or not, i've actually thought of furthering my studies in English! can't believe it right? back then, I don't think my English is that bad and I do know that I'm interested in short stories, poems, classical pieces of work. So I actually researched a bit on TEASL (Teaching English as Second Language) and thought of going into the English field. But one thing i'm worried is that, I know my English isn't that good, i can easily be defeated in an area like this.
and so, Here I am, ended up in Physics, an area many dare not try, I thought maybe if I try harder, I have more opportunity to excel in it.
you can say that it just happened that I ended up in Physics, you can also say that it's somehow my choice.
Speaking about passion and love, I don't have much for Physics seriously.
Because JPA decided to offer me science, and to choose the best out of three, I would point to Mr. P.
But even if I didn't get JPA, I'm actually taking Physics in Form 6, and I actually applied to be a physics teacher in the education scholarship (English teacher was my second choice)
I went into this blindly. but, who knows, God has already planned it from the beginning.

I rmb working on my first narrative (it's a love story :P ) I used so much time to think of the story, use the right words and description to write it out.
it's a very short story but i'm so satisfied with it. (i think i still kept it in my pile of works in KL).
I rmb trying to figure out a certain word to describe the girl's feeling, but I can't get that word correctly, so i went to pakpai (who's watching late night 12am news on TV3), I described that feeling of 'don't really wish to say, but feel like saying anyway'
"What's that word in English?"
"Reluctant?"
"Oh ya!! that's the right word! How do i spell it?" (don't laugh)
So the whole story is actually a short piece describing the nervousness, embarassment and anxiety of this school girl who thought that the handsomely looking senior is giving her a flower bouquet to confess to her, the whole description, her sweaty palms, her heart palpitating madly, her mixed feelings, and all, but to find out that he actually wanted to give that bouquet of flower to her best friend. (The End)

oh well, short and simple. but seriously, that's the essay I love the most that I read through it countless times. I rmb even when I'm packing my Ipoh room, I still look back at my essay book, tear that page out, and kept it with my memory file.
It is my very own masterpiece.

Comments

  1. Awesomeness! Didn't knew lerdie had a flair at writing!

    I guess I might have a part to play in causing you to steer towards physics. Isn't it wonderful to understand the intricacies and mystery of God's wonderful creation!?

    Anyway, I think you should continue to write, whenever you are free. Nobody is born with a good command of language, be it English, Chinese or what-naught. But it's through sheer practice that one gets better at commanding a language.

    If you remember, I used to be super lousy at language. Not that I'm exceptionally good now. But looking back, I think I have improve tremendously over the years.

    As I venture into filmmaking and video production, I found myself having to use the correct words to describe the scenes I have in my mind. It's not easy, but I'm still learning. Don't worry, you have a lifetime to master your language. Do it slowly, do it well.

    Post some of your short stories up here lar. If you really want to try fiction writing, can check out http://www.pandamian.com/

    Lastly, I would like to share this video with you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

    Remember "The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people!" (Randy Pausch)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Hamster Lerdie! What a revelation! Looks like there is more than meets the eye ;)

    Yea, I would encourage you to continue writing too. When I first started writing, my English was not exactly top class(there was once when I first started primary school in Singapore, I didn't understand my English Maths question) Gradually with practice and having the patience to nurture my writing skills, I started to realise the hidden talent within me for writing.

    Haha..I would love to read that masterpiece of yours one day. I do notice that you draw pretty well too. Perhaps the inner identity within the hamster has always been artsy xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol.

    My English has always been good. XD hhahahahahahahahah. but, my pronunciation is off sometimes, coz some words that I found from books are pronounced differently from the way they are written.

    That said, I would encourage you to keep writing. Practice won't make you perfect (that's why we have copy editors/proofreaders), but it will strengthen your command of the language. So don't give up.

    You know, you once told me that to get the Best, you gotta be the Best. Remember? So do explore your potential to the fullest. You could worry how it can be used for God's kingdom, but develop the skill, and keep the right intention/heart. =)

    I would definitely love to read that piece of yours. ;) My ex-bff once wrote a poem for me, and I was shocked - I didn't know she had a flair for poetic language. But I look forward to my birthdays, because she'd always write an awesome poem for me. =) Keep writing Pinky. Who knows, one day you can relate all the awesome adventures you've had in the States! I can name a few ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment